- Apply links menu
- Adult learning course list
- Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction
- Allotments list
- Jobs at the Council
- Bus pass
- Library membership
- Carer's assessment
- Council housing services
- Planning applications
- Council tax and business rates
- Property licence
- Disabled parking
- Recycling and waste services
- Free school meals
- School places
- HomeChoice Bristol
- Social services assistance
- Pay links menu
- Report links menu
- My Account links menu
The Pollution Control team is the section of Bristol City Council dealing with pollution. We are part of the Neighbourhood Enforcement Team within the Safer Bristol group.
We deal with a wide range of pollution matters which include noise, air and land pollution.
- Enforcement of the contaminated land regime.
- Environmental damage regulations.
Environmental information regulations
Environmental information searches.
- Barking dogs and other animals.
- Construction site noise.
- Domestic noise.
- Intruder alarms.
- Industrial and commercial noise.
- Licensed premises.
- Noise from vehicles, machinery and equipment in the streets.
- Asbestos in the home.
- Light pollution.
- Pollution incidents.
- Providing advice and information about pollution matters.
- Investigation of noise, air and land pollution complaints.
- Advising our Planning Development Control Teams about potential pollution impacts of new developments.
- Acting as responsible authority under the terms of the Licensing Act 2003 to prevent public nuisance from noise from licensed premises.
- Providing an emergency response to pollution incidents in support of the council's civil contingencies responsibilities.
- Conforming to the Regulatory services - Enforcement Policy (pdf, 115 KB) (opens new window).
Some pollution issues are dealt with by other departments and government agencies. Below is a list of contacts that may be able to help you.
- Disturbances in the streets.
- Non emergency number: 101.
- Regulation of some industrial processes, mineral extraction and waste operations.
- Major water pollution incidents.
- Management of water resources, abstraction, rivers and fisheries.
- National Air Pollution Control.
- Air quality monitoring and management.
- Water quality monitoring.
- Noise from traffic.
- Environmental Management and Sustainability (EMAS).
Health and Safety Team
- Noise in the workplace.
8.30am to 5pm Monday to Thursday
8.30am to 4.30pm on Friday
Address: Pollution Control Team, Brunel House, St George's Road, Bristol, BS1 5UY
Telephone: 0117 922 2500
Fax: 0117 922 3395
As well as the normal working week we also run an out-of-hours service to tackle problems which occur in the evenings and at night. The service is provided by two officers working as a team who cover the whole of the city. We have a high demand for this service and you may experience a delay in response as we have to prioritise calls received.
Telephone the 24 hour Emergency Control Centre on 0117 922 2050.
The hours of this service are:
Sunday, 7.30pm to midnight.
Monday, 7.30pm to midnight.
Tuesday, 7.30pm to midnight.
Wednesday, 7.30pm to 1am (next day).
Thursday, 7.30pm to 1am (next day).
Friday, 7.00pm to 3.30am (next day).
Saturday, 7.00pm to 3.30am (next day).
The service does not currently operate on bank holidays.